Rome was not ridden in a day

 

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Potts Tavern




On the National Register of Historic Places
Potts Inn ** (added 1970 - Building - #70000123)
Also known as Potts' House
Main and Center Sts., Pottsville
Historic Significance: Person
Historic Person: Potts,Kirkbridge
Area of Significance: Exploration/Settlement
Period of Significance: 1825-1849
Owner: Private
Historic Function: Domestic
Historic Sub-function: Single Dwelling
Current Function: Domestic
Current Sub-function: Single Dwelling

Im back home in Pottsville where I lived 25 out of the last 27 years. Theres nothing thats stands for Pottsville more than Potts Tavern. Its in the center of the old town and it would be hard to miss. Its a big house. The historic person that had it built, according to the National Register of Historic Places is Kirkbridge Potts. If I'm not mistaken the name is actually "Kirkbride", no g in the name, an obvious typo.

If you've never been thru the tavern, its well worth the trip and the $5. for adults and $3. for children. I forgot to write down the hours, I'll update later. I think its open from Tuesday-Friday from around 10 am to 3 pm. Dont quote me on those times though.

The first cabin in the line is the one Piney Page was raised in. It was moved here from Page Hollow at least 20 years ago. If I'm not mistaken, all the cabins onsite were relocated here. Piney Page was a well known Radio Celebrity when I was growing up. He told stories of living in the Ozarks.


I would take some pictures of the Galla Creek Bridge but guess what? In following with the rest of Pope County and Arkansas, someone has once again shown an uncanny ability to unravel history. The bridge was dismantled and replaced in 1998. It now lies in a farmers pasture. Just because something is on the Register, doesnt mean the Government cant destroy it, it just means they must go thru certain channels to do so.

Galla Creek Bridge (added 2000 - Structure - #93000090)
Old AR 64 over Galla Cr., Pottsville
Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering
Architect, builder, or engineer: Arkansas Hwy. & Transportation Dept.
Architectural Style: Other
Area of Significance: Engineering
Period of Significance: 1900-1924
Owner: Local Gov't
Historic Function: Transportation
Historic Sub-function: Road-Related
Current Function: Transportation
Current Sub-function: Road-Related

This bridge is gone. Now, Galla Creek which this bridge once spanned is barely noticable from the modern road.
Photo provided by the Arkansas Highway & Transportation Department

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Loved your site got it from C.P. We have some good riding and alot of old historic places here in south east Kentucky and it's only 25 miles to east Tenn. lots of good riding there.(watch out for Tenn state cops)I ride a 1200 sporster for the last 4 yrs.mostly by myself.Tried to get C.P. to come over but he hasn't made it yet. Gary Shinn

David said...

Glad to hear from you Gary. Keep checking my site, I put something on everyday. Thanks for your comment. Maybe C.P. and I can ride up to Kentucky some day. My brother Dick rode his Honda 350 to the land between the lakes back around 1980. I've been wanting to go ever since I heard him talk about it. Dave