Rome was not ridden in a day

 

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Mayflower to Conway

I made a visit to the VA on Tuesday. I'd taken Hwy 9 and 10 to get there which made for a more enjoyable ride than going I-40. Finishing up at the VA I decided to take a different route home.
From I-430 I took the Hwy 100 exit to Maumelle, I made a left on Hwy 365 North somewhere along the way. At the Pulaski/Faulkner County line I noticed a memorial beside the road, they even had a picnic table there.
I had never taken any pictures of a War of 1812 heroe memorial so I took two.

This one so you can read it better. I thought it was interesting, of course I'm just a history type of guy. Heres a link http://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.net/encyclopedia/entry-detail.aspx?entryID=2872 .
When I arrived at Mayflower I made a left turn on Hwy 89. If you look at a road map you may notice that it doesn't say that 89 is paved all the way to Conway. It is all paved except for about four miles according to a local I talked to. I went to the end of the pavement and the gravel was deep, this was the only time that I have ever turned around when getting to dirt or gravel. It would have worn me out in the heat of the day and besides, I got a new front tire on.

The next four pictures are of a rock formation I found along the county maintained portion of the road.
I had to drive on about a quarter mile of gravel on Easterwood Point Road to get to the rock, but this gravel was well packed. I'm thinking this rock is called Easterwood Point...just guessing.
This picture does a better job of showing how large it is.
This is a private road in the area. The pic below is just to the right in this picture.
I thought this was nice looking for a swampy area.
When I reached the gravel and turned around, I thought I would need to go all the way back to Mayflower. Along the way back I noticed a road to the North called Rocky Gap Road going in the general direction of Conway. I followed it to "Old Military" Road then made a left on "Donnell Ridge" Road then a right onto "McNutt" Road which turns into "Hogue Ln". Hogue Ln is the road that cuts through the mountain at Conway. Hogue Ln is on the West edge of Conway which was a good thing. I stopped at Plummerville and rehydrated then took I-40 towards home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amiable brief and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you on your information.

Kathy said...

Like to read your blog with such beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing.