Rome was not ridden in a day

 

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Russellville again?

You can see the Road at the bottom left corner of the picture.

Pretty bad condition, the seat on the left has fallen apart.

I spent all day sharpening my mower blades, then mowing the lawn and finally going to a birthday party. Finally I get a chance to sit down.
How about a little tibbit from Russellville? This is a Rock Spring on the West side of Skyline Drive going up the hill from Hwy 64. I have no idea what it was for but I know its been there since I was a boy. Often we would ride bicycle around Skyline Drive. In those days the road was dirt, it was a long push up the hill but the trip down made it worth it. We would stop here and fill our canteens. Someone, I don't know who has kept this spring in fair repair, its probably worse now than I've seen it in years. When it was in good condition, it had stone seats on the North and South side, you could stop in and get a drink, cool off or get out of the rain (I don't think I would do that nowadays).
I would consider this a Russellville landmark, I don't know what the Historical Society says about it.
The nearest store at that time was Prices Grocery, a few blocks to the NorthEast of St. Mary's Hospital. It was just a little neighborhood store, it stayed in business until probably around 25 years ago. There were several small family stores in Russellville area. A few of the buildings are still standing, being used for other businesses.

1 comment:

jhkj said...

verrry interesting... but I wouldn't want to sit there. :)