Rome was not ridden in a day

 

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Clarksville to Oark







When you get to Clarksville take Hwy 103 N. You won't regret it, I've been up and down that Highway more times than I can remember. It's a nice drive to a nice area of Arkansas. The road is curvy with switchbacks in areas, nice smooth curves in others and long straightways(not many of those though).

Here are some pics taken along the way to Oark.

Once you cross the Mulberry River bridge (they replaced the old bridge about ten years ago, I don't believe I have a pic of it) you keep on Hwy 103 passing up Hwy 215 for now (we'll double back to it later)Oark Public schools will be prominent on the right then you'll get to the great hub of the city, the Oark General Store.

Once here, stop in and sit for awhile. They have a whittlin bench out front. Inside you'll find the high ceilings that alot of these old stores had. Hanging from the ceiling are the light bulbs that just barely put out enough light to read by. If you're hungry they'll cook you up some good fried chicken strips or throw together a sandwich for you.

There always seemed to be a couple of local old timers inside whenever I was there. Spreading the local gossip I suppose. Take a break,your at the end of the pavement(unless things have changed in the last couple fo years). I know if you continue on East you'll end up in Catalpa,Ar. Theres an old swinging bridge across the Mulberry there. Your on dirt by now though, and you'll have alot more to go (if I remember correctly, around 17 miles of it).

If you double back the way you came on Hwy 103 then take Hwy 215 W you'll be following the Mulberry River. A couple of years ago they were doing some road work, they may have paved the last mile and a half. I had a local tell me they would'nt though, because they would need to build a new bridge and the cost was too high. Anyway its only 1 1/2 miles, no problem.

I'll leave it at this, next we'll follow Hwy 215 over to the Pig Trail/Hwy 23.

No comments: