Rome was not ridden in a day

 

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Head West

I rode West a few days ago and stopped off in Clarksville for a few pictures. Later on in the day I made a side trip to Scraton, Ar., then followed Hwy 352 West and eventually ended up in Ozark. Thats for later though, today I'm in Clarksville.

Clarksville is a nice old town, its got all the makins for a run of the mill Arkansas country town. Its got a Courthouse in the square,a Military Memorial, old stores and houses,an old train station. It has huge old houses on the cliffs above the creek that flows thru town and a long bridge across the creek. On the dike thats between the creek and the lower part of town is a really nice jogging trail. \
Speaking of old homes. I know that somewhere to the west is or was the oldest house in Johnson County. It was an old breezeway home. The kind with the open breezeway in the middle. I've been to it years ago but I've forgotten where exactly it is. When I find it I'll take a picture of it.
This year was the first year for "Creek Fest". It was alot of fun, lots of activities for the children and music for the adults. Its held next to the creek and the American Legion building (which resembles a castle).

Clarksville is the home of Arkansas Cycle Works and College of the Ozarks.

A little history here, I've been to this town many times and had never read this plaque until the other day. Another part of Arkansas's coal mining legacy. To the West of town was a huge open pit strip mining area, its been undergoing land reclamation for years.


To those of you reading this that work with me. Look at the name on the bottom of this Memorial to Service Men and Women who have died in War. Marlin Roy Maynard was in the Army during the invasion of Grenada. He did'nt make it back home. Hershal Maynard, Marlin's Dad, worked with us for years as a locksmith, he passed away several years ago.


Sometime back there was a last train to Clarksville, this is the station, the tracks are covered with aspalt. I doubt the "Monkey's" had this station in mind when they wrote the song "Last Train to Clarksville".

No comments: