Rome was not ridden in a day

 

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Another BBBQ is history

Zack, the Mikes and I got up early Sunday, amazing since we were up till early in the morning. We had a good continental breakfast, we said our goodbyes to new aquaintences, packed up the bikes and prepared to hit the road.
Since the Mikes had to be back earlier than Zack and I they went the straight route down I-540/I-40 to home while Zack and I took the scenic route.

Zack and I initially headed South on I-540 then we exited and took Hwy 265 South. We made a left at Strickler, finally ending up at the junction of 265 and 170 where we took a right on 170 South. We took 170 to Devils Den State Park http://www.stateparks.com/devils_den.html.

As best as I could tell, Hwy 74 takes over at Devils Den. This park is a great place to spend a couple of days camping. Its in a cool valley with lots of good scenary. This was the site of an old CCC (Civilian Conservatioin Corps)camp and remnants of it are still there. The park is extremely crowded during the prime camping months. The road South out of the park is a motorcyclers dream road, unless you dont like curves. There are some really tight ones, it doesnt last long but its still a fantastic ride.
We followed 74 out of Devils Den and crossed over I-540. We were on our way to Winslow. Its a really nice ride, some nice curves going down the mountain to the town. We stopped and took some pics at Winslow, its a great little town for photos, kind of an old feel to it. Its got some old stone buildings. I wanted to do some more exploring around the town but we didnt have the time to spare. We made a right on Hwy 71 South at Winslow and continued on south.
An old store in Winslow, I believe its being used as a house now.


A row of old stores and the Winslow City Hall as seen from the town centerpiece.


The Winslow Train Depot.

Hwy 71 has a fire tower on this stretch of the road, its just a few feet off the highway, we didnt have time but maybe someday I'll climb up and see what the Mountains look like from up there.
Our next stop was Artists Point where we took some more pics. This place has some really good views of the Boston Mountains.


We went on down 71 passing through Mountainburg. The town has Hwy 71 going right through the middle of it but its still a nice town. As you come into town from the North, you'll see a park on the on the right with large Dinosour statues in it, I wish I'd taken pictures there. I'll go back.
The school was built out of native rock.


We then continued until we reached Hwy 282, which we took to the South going under 540. Theres a great echo under the bridge.


We road over the new Frog Bayou Bridge and under the Frog Bayou Railroad Bridge. The old automobile bridge is a little ways downstream.


This is the old Frog Bayou Bridge. Its a little ways downstream. (This picture courtesy of www.bridgehunter.com).


We went under the Frog Bayou Railroad Bridge (This Photo courtesy of www.bridgehunter.com)


We went over I-540 two more times then finally ended up at I-40 which we went over and took Hwy 64 East to Lamar where we got on I-40 for the last part of the trip home.
I hadnt had enough, I was wanting to keep riding. I had to be at work the next night so this was it for the BBBQ 2007.

No comments: