Rome was not ridden in a day

 

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Russellville, my rant, I need to vent.

I mentioned in my last entry that Russellville is BORING, I stand by that statement. Not only Russellville though, Pope County. I'm sitting here wondering what to do today since its raining. Hmmmm, watch TV, go eat at one of our zillion fast food joints, go to Walmart, maybe go eat again at another fast food joint, go home watch some TV or surf the net, work on my blog, eat a cookie, watch some TV, go to Leonards (Leonards has everything, except something to do).
Now its late afternoon and time to....guess what EAT AGAIN. Taters, squash, ham, green tea, the possibilities are endless right? I'm still bored with Russellville though. What would I rather have done? How about a museum, a themed store like Bass Pro Shop, a swimming pool (not a thug bath like Russellvilles pool), water park maybe. A movie house without a name like Picwood (where in the heck did they come up with the wood part, hmmm who opened the picwood anyway, nuff said), an art museum, a fine restaurant (which we know we don't have), a nice walking park (not one in the swamp where we have to make sure we don't make eye contact with the men lurking in the shadows and always carry a gun, and not last and for sure not least......an event.
There should be an event of some kind going on here at least one or two weekends a month, why the hell not? Motorcycles, cars, hunting, fishing, crafts, etc. Sure there are some things that happen but its just not often enough and in my opinon the biggest event in the valley just plain sucks, talking of Valley Fest of course.
When I lived in Anchorage, Ak, there was always something to do, its a fine town. They make it interesting I suppose because they don't want to be bored, the winters there are kind of long and tough, so they have fun happenings in town. Anchorage had a bicycle trail that went for miles through town, along creeks, between housing areas, over hills, through swamps and it was fun and alot of people used it.
Russellville has a water way going through it, did you know that, Prairie Creek? San Antonio has a water way going through it also? Know what the difference is other than our water way is smaller? The Texans used it and made it into a beautiful park, Russellville uses prairie creek to float trash to the outlet on Lakefront Drive passing through Bona Dea Trails, then the Corp of Engineers use a crane to pick up the trash. Its a nice looking creek, don't you think (I try to use sarcasm when I can). After picking up the trash the water goes into Lake Dardanelle, what a fine lake it is, nice clear, clean water you could bath your newborn in right? Wrong!!! I would'nt get in that lake if I was paid to. It is clean enough for Bass fishing events though, an event that happens occasionally.
Russellville is, in my opinion, the hub of the spoke in Arkansas. This town could be the place to meet for great biking, antique car, or any number of other events, but NOOOO! The powers that be don't want anything here, obviously. To make it even worse, Russellville (pope county) has laws that cause people to stay in other places. Can anyone say Dry county? I don't really drink, oh, I will have a mixed one occasionally and believe me even though I can't usually stand the taste of beer, if its a hot day and there is nothing else, I'm drinking one if offered. The thing is if your going to have nice restaurants......if your going to have events and keep people in town......if you want to give people in your county the freedom they deserve to choose their own course in life......NAAAAHHH..... lets start burning books tomorrow and while we're at it lets find some more stuff to ban, burn, regulate, tax, why don't we just fill the damn prisons with people doing what people have been doing for ages. If I'm boss and I don't do it or don't believe in it I'm gong to bann it right?
I could go on with this but you know what? I think I have just pissed myself off and I'm going to go eat some oatmeal, drink some green tea and have a cup of coffee before its banned, then I'm going to meditate, very quietly, else someone find out and brand me a non-conformer. Then I'm going to sit down and try to decide what of all the opportunies and possibilities there are here in this fine town......what it is I'm going to do today. I have a jigsaw puzzle of Van Gogh's 'Starry Night" on the table.....tic tic tic

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

David,
Conway county is wet and has a few things to do like go on Petit Jean mountain, very pretty and the trails are nice to adventure on... The falls are cool and nice also especially if your standing under the cool water like I was with a couple of my friends. Mike and Mike
"Ha"
Gotta run so see ya.......
Zach

Anonymous said...

What I meant Zach, was an assortment of things to do. Not just nature stuff. Sure I love nature stuff, but I long for a variety. I guess growing up in a Military Family traveling alot just spoiled me.
I'll be making a trip East of you this fall,to Faulkner County. I'll be taking pictures of the oldest bridge in Arkansas. The Springfield Bridge, built in 1874.

Anonymous said...

There is that new Honda shop.
I stop there all the time on my trips from Fayetteville to Little Rock. Nice bathroom break.