Rome was not ridden in a day

 

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Dardanelle area

I went for a short ride yesterday in and around the Dardanelle area. Here are some pics I took. In case your not from here, Dardanelle is just over the Arkansas River about four miles from Russellville.

On the way to the River, I stopped on the Russellville side of the Dam and found this.
I can remember seeing this painting in school. http://ideas.aetn.org/productions/virtualtours/gov_mansion/gallery/gallery_pages?result_page=47



Entering Dardanelle, I stopped at the Courthouse. Dardanelle is in Yell County, which is one of the few county with two county seats. Danville became the first Yell County seat in 1840, later in 1885, Dardanelle became a county seat and it hasn't changed since.


If you read the plaque at the bottom corner, it mentions the Council Oaks, which is my next stop.

Council Oaks, where the Cherokee made a big mistake to the white man's advantage.

The lone remaining Council Oak.
A big tree.
Zoom in to read the inscription.
A large
very big oak, see the little boy at the bottom.

Next I went up the road to Dardanelle Rock. The picture doesn't do it justice, this is a very big rock. There are some ledgends about the rock. I wont go into those without doing research, which I may do later on. I know theres one about an Indian that jumped off the top.

Next, its on the veterans park along the river in the old part of town.

The three pics below are of Yell County Choppers, originally The Road House. The original Roadhouse is no longer standing. It was a few feet to the West and was an old white frame house. Yell County Choppers is located a few miles West on Hwy 22 out of Dardanelle.


I took Hwy 247 going home and found this. Awhile back, I went to Jerusalem and on the way back I found Mt. Zion Road. I went down it and didn't find Mt. Zion. Yesterday I was in luck, I found the Mt. Zion Cemetary. Its on Mt. Zion Road (a different one) in Pottsville on 247.





No comments: