Rome was not ridden in a day

 

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Ride, Part 4 " I like Jasper"

After leaving Round Top Mountain, I rode North towards Jasper.

Newton County was having the Fair on the mountain South of town.
Riding into Jasper, there wasn't much traffic even though it was a wonderful day.
Passing on through town, I was slowed by a farm tractor.
I stopped off at the Wildlife Museum on the left going North out of Jasper. I can't remember what its called. It's worth the stop though, if you have any interest in outdoors stuff. They had some really good outdoors displays, including an old enforcement officer uniform and other items.
Somehow though, I just couldn't understand the fairly large display of drug enforcement pictures (I know, I know this is the Federal Government and they are proud of their pot cutting trips. Even though it is a total waste of tax payer dollars). I believe when children are brought into the museum they should see outdoor displays, not to include drugs. There's some big time corruption and money being made somewhere in this weed erradication project. I would bet my sweet bippy on that. Uh Oh, I said that. I'll be sure and flog myself later for being the bad person.
After the Museum, I rode on towards Harrison. The bicyclers were out enjoying the good weather.
I came to a Historical Marker sign and pulled over to take a look. On the side of the hill was a monument, almost overgrown with weeds. The first time I read the inscription, I thought this was really cool. I wondered why don't take better care of such an important marker. It's seems important to me. This is the spot where "Beller and Harp Bros." dug up Arkansas's Marble contribution to the Washington Monument. Am I reading too much into this, am I making a mountain out of a molehill? To me this is an important site. It deserves a little more than what it got. Was Beller and Harp Bros. a company? Was it a group of brothers? If it was brothers, was there family that lived in the area. How about they tell us that. Am I asking too much? There's no story about the men that picked it up, how they did it or what time of the year it was. There's a creek called Harp Creek not far from here, Arkansas Hwy 7 crosses over it, was the creek named after one of the Brothers that picked up the Marble.
Double click the pic and you can read the inscription. You can let your breath out now, I know you must couldn't wait for the real story of the Arkansas marble in the Washington Monument. So here it is, just click below.

http://users.aristotle.net/~russjohn/washmon.html

Across from this monument is a place that at one time was the tourist mecca of the Arkansas Ozarks. I'll get back on the Ride there in Part 5.

No comments: