Rome was not ridden in a day

 

Friday, September 12, 2008

The Ride, Part 6

When I departed Berryville, I rode up Hwy 21 North. On the way I passed Cosmic Caverns, someday I'm going to go for the tour http://www.cosmiccavern.com . I couldn't get the link to work at my job, maybe it'll work at home. I passed up Hwy 311 at Oak Grove, I would be coming back to it. I went on North to Blue Eye,AR-MO. As far as I could tell by looking at the map, Blue Eye and Mammoth Springs (in NE Ar.) are the only two towns in Northern Arkansas that share the border of both Ar. and Mo.

Blue eye has a nice little city park, very shaded with a pizza parlor across the street. Good place to stop and have a pizza pic nic.


Cindy on the Arkansas side.
After leaving Blue Eye, I doubled back to Oak Grove where I took Hwy 311 South at the intersection. Somewhere on this absolutely beautiful ride was the community of Farewell. I remember seeing two houses and a barn. Don't bother looking for it on the map, its not there.

After arriving at Green Forest, I made a right on Hwy 62, retracing my earlier route to Berryville. Only this time I made a turn South on Hwy 21. I followed 21 to the T and made a right on Hwy 412 then an almost immediate left to get back on Hwy 21.

This was an old barn getting taking over by nature on the outskirts of Kingston.
A view of downtown Kingston looking West from the county road that enters the square. I like this town alot, its seems slow and quiet. I saw young people hanging out at the gazebo and others just walking around and riding bicycle. The last time I rode through here, probably a couple of years ago, there was an old wooden gas station store with probably two gas pumps. I like that in small towns, I like keeping everything just as it is for as long as possible.

Kingston didn't keep things as they were, maybe the old building was deteriorating. Kingston now has a brand new station with lots of pumps, a store with hot food, and a car wash. The good part is that it is a little ways from the town center and it has an outside table which looks like it was put there just for bikers. In the picture below, the new station is straight up Hwy 21 which is to the left of the big white building in the picture below.

Another view of Kingston. Kingston has a large city square with a gazebo in the center of it. Two Highways and a county road converge here and there are white arrows on the pavement giving you directions. You can barely see the white arrow in front of me telling me I should go counter clockwise in the square. In this pic I am sitting where Hwy 74 comes into the square, I'm facing North. Directly in front of me is Hwy 21 which I rode in on. To my right out of the picture is where 21 goes up Kingston Mountain.
Somewhere in that direction on a steep hillside along Hwy 21 is a little cabin. Unless it has burned down. I went there probably 6 years ago without a camera. Supposedly its a cabin that belonged to one of the first inhabitants of Kingston. I'll go back and take another look later. I didn't see it this ride and was trying to make it home before dark, so I didn't doubleback and look for it.

After reaching Boxley I made a left North on 43 which will take me to Ponca for the last tail of this ride. I'll do that tomorrow.

No comments: