Rome was not ridden in a day

 

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Back in Arkansas

My 75 FXE Superglide.


Its February 1977, I've spent almost 5 years in the Air Force and now I'm back home. It will take some getting used to. It's alot slower here and a whole lot less to do than the places I've been the last five years.

This state has some of the best motorcycle riding in the Nation though, and I planned on seeing all of it. Not long after returning I starting searching for a bike. Harley Davidson is what I wanted and its what I got. I found a 1975 Harley Superglide (and this time with electric start, wow!!!) for $2000. and purchased it.

I road that bike for over 5 years, selling it in 1982 for $1500. to a man on Crow Mtn. near Russellville. The speedometer was broke when I got it so I have no idea how many miles I rode, but I can say that it was an aweful lot. I rode it all year the entire time I had it and three of those years I was single. All I did after work was ride, ride, ride.

After I got the bike, I started keeping a record of where I rode. I used a highlighter and marked a map and I covered most of the roads within a radius of around 100 miles of Russellville (when I got my next bike in 2001, I started over and have covered the same roads and more). I just wish I'd had a digital camera in 1978, that would have been great.

No comments: