Rome was not ridden in a day

 

Thursday, September 6, 2007

Amazing is'nt it?



Telegraph Tree


Amazing how easy it is for something historical to be right beside us for years and never know it. I lived in Pottsville for years and of course I know about Potts Tavern on the old Butterfield Stagecoach Trail (I'll have pics of that later on), but heres a little tad of history that escaped me somehow until recently.
On Hwy 64 West in Pottsville is a huge white house. Right now I don't know who it originally belonged to but I'll try to find out (its built similar to Potts Tavern). It's almost directly across from the new Post Office. I do know that there used to be a hatchery there and that building is still standing being used for another business.
The amazing thing is not the house though, its the Post Oak tree out front. The current owner of the house bought him an old fire truck and I stopped to take a picture of it. Thats when I noticed the plaque a few feet from the tree. I'll let the plaque do the talking.
I lived about 200 yards from this house for about 7 years and I knew that the old Butterfield Line ran thru my backyard, but I did'nt know about the tree....interesting. Tunnel vision...get up, work, play, sleep, get up work, etc.

No comments: