Rome was not ridden in a day

 

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Helmet Protest about 1979







Thought I would get nostalgic, bring back a few memories plus show some people what it was like in times when we did'nt have the freedom to choose but ironically we had alot more freedom overall than we do now. Freedom to choose is kind of a personal thing , can you afford the ticket? (I just deleted some sentences, I was getting political and I promised myself I would'nt do that in this blog, after all this is for biking) What if you refused to wear a helmet, what then, would you have been arested? I don't know, I know I was was stopped twice for not wearing one, I never did get a ticket, but what if I'd refused to put it on?

The hardcore bikers of Arkansas got together and changed the helmet law. Everyone, even the ones that chose not to get involved benefited from the action of a few (kind of like a union of bikers:). If I remember correctly there were around 600 of us at the particular rally I have pictures of (thanks to my brother Dick who drove his car to the rally and took photographs). Some of the people that rode in the rally said they would always wear a helmet even if they did away with the law. They just did'nt like being told what to do, that makes sense to me, even though I wear a helmet most of the time.

The State Police and L.R. police were good to us, there were no problems. I really can't imagine being allowed to burn a helmet on the steps of the State Capital today, I don't think it would happen without someone being thrown in jail.

I rode to the rally with Paul Martin (the ower of Arkansas Cycle Works in Clarksville) and a couple of other people. Paul was a good man, he loved those Indian Motorcycles and had a good business. Paul died a couple of years ago.

As we pulled into L.R. we met the Ghost Riders MC of L.R. at a gas station and rode on to the rally with them. I have'nt heard anything out of that club in many years, I doubt they still exist but I don't know.

Everyone met at the State Fairgrounds and prepared for the ride to the Capital.

I hope everyone that likes to ride without a helmet knows that A.B.A.T.E. is the reason they can.

If you've never heard of it, it might do you good to look it up and join or be ready to get helmet hair.

Heres some pics, I'll caption what I think needs a caption.


No comments: