Rome was not ridden in a day

 

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Welcome Home








I'm almost certain Welcome Home is on Hwy 254. It's just a community but it's got a really cool name, don't you think? I took this ride in 2003.

This ride was my first up Hwy 27 after getting hitched with Cindy, my bike :). Cindy likes the hills and curves. I like the countryside, smell of cow dung in the air and in general the old ozarks feel about the area. There are lots of little streams that abound in the deep mountain hollows which are around nearly every other curve. Occasionally Cindy and I will stop and take a break beneath the oaks at an old homestead, all the while being vigilant for anyone still occupying the house. A while back we failed to look around, and we were politely told to move on or start a conversation. How were we to know, it looked like no one had lived there in years.

Oh, uh, I hate to admit this but, the other day, while on my Augsberg ride. I had to use the restrooom. That was'nt the problem. I had been looking at an old house site. When I got ready to leave I decided to take care of business. Anyone that knows me knows I don't hear too well, especially high pitched sounds. The house was on a blind hill, I could'nt see the roadway coming uphill, and I had'nt heard anyone, duh. I just pointed towards the road and well, next thing ya know, a truck with a man and a woman came up over the hill. I could see the whites of their eyes. I was embarrassed and thats all I got to say about that.

To arrive at Hwy 254 I took Hwy 27 N from Hector, Ar. Its guite a few miles up to 254 but as long as you remain on 27 you'll get there.

One pic is looking up 254 , and one is of a single lane wooden bridge you can see just off the highway. The pic of the little old house is just a few hundred feet from the junction of Hwy 254 /65.

I made a left on Hwy 65 and visited Leslie, Ar. a really nice town. Kind of a hilly little place, lots of tree covered yards, quiet. I would'nt mind living there. They even have a museum, can you believe it? Is that awesome or what? Did you know that Paris and Pottsville, Ar. also have museums.

After spending some time at Leslie, I went on North to Marshall. I took a pic at the old Jail, which has been allowed to go into disrepair. The last place I saw this many wires hanging from and around a building at was in the Middle East, it looks bad. Marshall also has one of the few remaining Drive In Theatre's in Arkansas. I forget the name of the place though. They don't have shows 7 days a week. I believe more like 5 or so.

On this particular ride, I took Hwy 27 S back to Hector, Ar.

I'll have to say this was one of the best rides in the state, full of curves, hills, valleys, ridge tops, and scenary. The road is in great shape. Just not many houses, so if your the type to get lonely riding a long ways without a town to stop in, well, you'll get lonely. Then again if your like me and enjoy geting lost, this would be an enjoyable ride. Oh, I would'nt consider buying gas at the Tilly store, gas station, post office, gossip shop, all in one. Back in 2003 it was over $4.oo a gallon.

David and Cindy's Road Ranking = Hwy 27 N /254 E / 65 N / 27 S a === a 10 !!! Great ride.

P.S. Just thought I would mention that since 2003 or so, I have stopped putting Cindy in every picture. I know everyone, including myself get tired of looking at her. I started taking pics without her. It just makes more sense and looks better. Shes cranky though and a real ham for photos, I'm sure I'll have to put her in a few here and there.

No comments: