Rome was not ridden in a day

 

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Vesta and Prairie Mounds







In 2004 I went for a ride on 22 West. I eventually ended up riding all the roads north of Charleston and Caulksville. The town of Vesta is a central point of the area. Mostly cattle land with straight roads and wide open pastures. Not very exiting roads but esthetically pleasing none the less. Not many spots for a deer to hide in beside the road.
There are some nice sites and some history. I found the Cherokee Prairie Natural Area which I had'nt known existed. Its one of the largest remaining areas of tallgrass prairie left in Arkansas and it has Prairie Mounds to boot. I'm not talking about man made Indian Mounds like Toltec, East of Little Rock. I'm talking about the type of mounds that scientists never have figured out. How they came to be there that is. I've seen prairie mounds in the area of the River Valley around Russellville. If you'll look at the map from one of the sites I've provided, it shows Arkansas being a major area for them to occur.

I found a really huge barn and even an interesting name for a community. Hope you enjoy. I have a better camera now, and I intend to return to the area soon. I'll put up some new and better pics at a later date.

If you look closely where my bike is shown, you can see the prairie mounds. Might have to click on the pic to make it bigger, that shouldnt be a problem, because I cant figure out how to make the pictures smaller. I'll work on that.

Heres a couple of websites you might find interesting.



No comments: