Rome was not ridden in a day

 

Friday, August 17, 2007

Dover, Arkansas - Sequoyah






Thought I would stop in Dover on todays ride and take in a little History. History is something that Pope County cares very little about. As a matter of fact IMHO, Arkansas does'nt care much about History. Well, I do and I catch a little bit here and there and let it soak in. Ok, so your wondering, what the heck is David talking about....look around, do you see a Pope County Museum? No, and your not going to because the people in charge in this county are about as culturally inclined as the wart on my arm. So I care about History - World, National, State, County, City, Racial, Military, Religious, etc. You name it, I like history.

So I stopped in Dover. Dover has a Kettle. It just so happens this Kettle supposedly, maybe, belonged to none other than Sequoyah, the Cherokee that invented the Cherokee Alphabet. He lived in the area near Scottsville at one time.

Its there, amazingly right there in Dover, Ark. only a few feet from Hwy 7 inside a chainlink fence about 6' x 6' square. I had to pull the chain link out with one had and stick my camera up to the link with my other hand to get a picture without a wire in it. I guess I should'nt complain, at least Dover has saved the Kettle. Alot more than Russellville and some other areas of the state have done for Historical objects and areas.
I'm not even going to get into a conversation about Cagle Rock and the Indian rock paintings that have been allowed to be trashed. I'm not going to talk about the Monument to the Mothers of the Confederacy on Pine Knob (skyline drive) in Russellville that has been trashed.
While I'm on this subject that I'm not going to talk about. Doe's anyone have any idea what those huge rock walls were used for (corner of 4th St and 7 T)? Doe's anyone know where the old stables were in Russellville or the stock yards (how about behind the old City Mall).
Ok, deep breath David, back to bikes.

This is a biking blog - I forget sometimes. Heres some pics.

No comments: